Translate

Tuesday, December 10, 2013

St. Nicolas and Christmas!

So today, I'm sick; and because I'm sick, I stayed home, and because I stayed home I figured this would be a good time to share what's been going on with my life for the past little while.

My last post was 9 days ago, and I forgot to mention the little get together in Thionville (otherwise known as T-Town) that we exchange students had. That was fun. Shout-out to Kate and Finley for being the most tired and to Aino for going to that kebab place four times.

Since then things have been very Christmas-y, if I can use that as a word. My host family has started putting candles on the table for dinner time instead of leaving the lights on, it was the festival of St. Nicolas the other day (My saint namesake thing therefore my party woot), and there are so many cookies and chocolates and good spirits going around! It's so fun, I love the Christmas season. Things are kinda hectic too, because I'm trying to figure out what I should get people as gifts, because I'm horrible with gifts. But yeah, that'll be fun.

IN CONTINUATION with the Christmas/St. Nicolas theme, this weekend was the student gathering in Nancy, for the Fete de St. Nicolas, which was interesting. I mean, it was fun and all but museums can get annoying if you don't have the time to properly go through them and then (sorry guys) but going with a group is reaaaaaallllllllyyyyyyyyyyy annoying. BUT OTHER THAN MUSEUMS here was our schedule (briefly): DAY 1: arrival, museum, free time, food, fireworks, bus, St. Nicolas de Port, candlelight procession, "home".
DAY 2: wake up, food, museum, free time, food, parade, train, home.

The fireworks show was really fun, there were screens in the middle of this huge square, and video projections on the two buildings opposite the square that showed the story of St. Nicolas. At specific parts that coincided with the story there would be fireworks going off or flames shooting out from the top of the screens. It was super cool.

I'm just gonna completely change topics now and head over to Reason Why Exchange is Difficult number 7 (completely made that number up): the southern hemisphere people leaving so soon after you meet them. I'm honestly quite sad to have already said goodbye to the people that are leaving, because I won't get the chance to see them again before they go home.
To everyone who's leaving: I'm so honoured to have met you, and I hope that you will never forget your time in France, and all the wonderful memories (I hope) you've made here.

Speaking of wonderful memories, I had my "Conseille de classe" (which is this big scary event at the end of the trimester when all your teachers get together and say the good and the horrible things about you, and then talk smack) the other day, and I got "Encouragements" which basically is really good for an exchange student. The only thing I'm lacking in is class participation, so if I can stick my hand up more, I'll be all set.

So there you go, hope you enjoy it, feel free to post comments or whatever, I'll just be sitting here. All day... Drinking my tea... Trying to get better...

AAAAAAAAALRIGHTY THEN HAVE A NICE DAY.

4 comments:

  1. AHAHAHAHAHH thanx dude now i seem like some fat weirdo XDDD im honoured

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you're feeling better ! Post again sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha that damn drink I was drinking made me "tired" ;) :P
    (It's Finley here!) Miss you Nik! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete